Being an artist with another job means that time to make things is always precious and passes too fast. I just finished an intense (as in, very focused) and awesome bookbinding session in preparation for Canzine next Sunday. I managed to also force myself to take many process shots. I get so detail oriented and INTO IT when I’m working that it can be hard to remember to stop and pick up my camera.
Doesn’t my chair look so welcoming? “Sit down, let’s make some books!”
Drilling holes in the text block… no way was I going to use an awl for all those pages! I usually drill the covers and text block before cutting the spine piece, but here I muddled it up and had to do if after.
Folding creases as guides for cutting the corners.
Corners cut. It takes some practice to get this right so your corners are not lumpy or do not show the board beneath.
Folding in the edges of the bookcloth. The long side is recut so that it lines up with the front when glued down (keeping in mind the 1/16th of an inch you’ll lose in the crease).
Bookbinder’s tools. I love this shape of bone folder, very useful for creasing paper and bookcloth for smooth edges. The sturdy awl was an awesome investment for this project.
Cursory snack shot. Water, dark chocolate with espresso, ginger spice cookies (vegan and wheat free).
Almost halfway done with the bookcloth step
More than halfway done. Hope dawns on the horizon!
In this batch I got the idea to mark the spine pieces in pencil so that I could keep track of which cover they go with, in which direction. This really helps in making sure the covers line up nicely in the end.
Little “favours to your future self” like these really help in being able to work faster and achieve crisp execution every time.
Such a happy sight! Only the sewing step left and that is the fastest and easiest part. Another day; for now, to bed!
Total progress: 60 books of an edition of 200. Next up: a batch for contributor Megan Speers to have available at Canzine West (Vancouver) in November.